Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Hidden Bavarian Cream Donuts

We made a trip to Greenville on Sunday and Monday. My Grandpa died, so we went there for his funeral. His death was very much expected, but those things are never fun. My Grandpa was such a great man, and there are a few "things" about him that I want to document so I never forget them. The main memory that sticks out in my head when I think of Grandpa is Bavarian Cream donuts from Dunkin' Donuts. My Mom loves them, and he knew that. We would always make the trip to Greenville on Friday nights after my Dad got off of work. It was always VERY LATE (in my young eyes, anyway) when we finally arrived. EVERY time, my Grandpa had a dozen Bavarian Cream donuts waiting for us. BUT, they were always hidden, and he always denied that they were there. My brothers and I would search the house until we found them, and then indulge in a powder sugary-sweet evening snack. Something we never got to do at home. Grandpa always did this, and it's one of those things I will always remember. That, and that Dallas was always on the television when we arrived. :) My Grandpa was also a great fisherman. He LOVED to fish, and I know without a doubt that his happiest moments were spent on his boat with a fishing pole in his hand. He always tried to teach me to fish, but I never really had any interest. My brothers loved it, though and would join him for hours. I remember one time when I actually caught a fish. I was 8 or 9, and he told me that the name of the fish was a Crappy (is that how you spell that?). I was APPALLED! I thought my Grandpa had just said a cuss word! I was a mighty naive kid.

It was nice to be with family this weekend and remember him. He was a very special man, and will definitely be missed.

There wasn't much time for pictures this weekend, but we did head downtown for a little while. Wow, I LOVE Greenville's downtown! The kids had such a great time. I think we will definitely be planning a weekend trip back there soon!




7 comments:

Li Li said...

I think that's the first time I really let myself cry over my Dad's death.

gillian said...

what a sweet story of the wonderful memories of your grandfather!

Susanne Hodge said...

Wow, if Dallas was on it really WAS late! I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather, but it is great that you have such wonderful memories.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing. It is wonderful, though, to have great memories.

Anonymous said...

What a great memory! All of my grandparents have passed and I continue to find comfort in those little moments of the special, often simple, things they did. It is nice to relive those moments as I tell Claudia the stories.

I am sorry for your loss, especially during the holidays!

Rebecca said...

WOW- great memories- thank you for sharing!! I feel like I know he more now and for that I am grateful! LOVE the new pics of the kiddos!!

Kris said...

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I lost my Grandpa many years ago, but some of my most vivid memories of him are also related to food. . . he kept those little Snickers bars in the freezer in his basement. One of the first things my brother & I did after we got to their house was to raid the freezer!