Tuesday, February 3, 2009

He turned FIVE

on January 22 and I am just now getting around to his Five year post. Not because I haven't had the time. I have. What I haven't had is the desire to admit that this baby of mine is FIVE! I am SOOOO intensely PROUD of this boy. I just can't believe that he's really five. These past five years have flown by. Every year on his birthday I think back to that wonderful day when he was born and I was forever changed. I became what I always wanted to be...Momma. That intense love that overtook me the day he was born has grown stronger and stronger over the past five years, and is something that takes my breath away if I stop to think about it. I know all of you other mommas understand these feelings that I have for him. I LOVE the love that God gives us for our children. And I am so thankful that I was able to first experience this love on January 22, 2004. This boy that I have been blessed with the pleasure of mothering is AMAZING. Here's a little about what he's up to at age 5.
The thing that stands out to me the most as I think about Mak over this past year is the way he has grown so much closer to Jesus. This boy loves his Savior with all of his heart! Last year it was something that he didn't really talk about with us. When we tried to bring it up, he grew very shy and embarrassed. But this year we have had a huge change! He talks about Jesus all the time, prays aloud with us, and tells Clara Beth all about how much God loves her. He is hiding God's word in his heart. When Collin is away from the house and it's time for us to pray as a family, he always asks if he can do it since he is a boy and Daddy isn't here. I LOVE that he is learning that one day he will be the leader of a family of his own. It's humbling to think that you are raising someones future husband and father. I had never really thought about it that way until a friend brought it up to me. That's an AWESOME responsibility. I am so thankful for the changes we have seen in Makgill this year, and I pray that they continue!

Yes, we've seen major positive changes in Mak this year, but that in no way means that we haven't also seen major behavior issues. This sweet boy of mine can be downright defiant! Respect is something that we work on on a daily basis. He gets a little big for his britches quite often and thinks that he is old enough to make all decisions on his own, no matter what Mommy and Daddy have to say about it. It's a huge struggle that we work through daily!

His favorite place in the world to be is...OUTSIDE (you thought I was going to say Disney, didn't you!). The kid would live in a tree. He climbs things that I never knew were climbable (is that a word?). He runs everywhere. And he's really good at it, too! I've often thought that he and I should start running together as a way for me to get some exercise. I have no doubt that he would keep going for miles long after I was passed out on the side of the road. We can tell when he's been cooped up in the house too long due to rainy or cold weather, and send him outside to run around the house five times. It does the trick every time! Even if it's nasty outside, this kid HAS to let off energy or things become unbearable for everyone!

His big present from Collin and me was a new bike. The one requirement that he had for it was that it had a hand brake. Just like Daddy and Boom-Boom. It's blue and yellow and has racing stripes AND a hand brake and he thinks it is the greatest thing EVER. He learned to ride without training wheels a few months ago, and since then riding a bike has been ranked right up there with running as far as his favorite things go. He also got a new Razor scooter from Collin's parents for his birthday that has become a favorite. The yellow jeep continues to be another favorite. Notice a trend with his favorite toys? All are outside toys. I'm telling you, the kid would live out there if we would let him!


As far as indoor activities go, he entertains himself for hours with tiny legos. You know, the itty-bityy ones that you don't see until they pierce your heel in the middle of the night when you are walking down the hall on your way to bed. He creates the coolest cars/trucks/trailers/and buildings with them. We have turned his old train table into a lego table, and he can spend hours playing with them. He and Collin have worked together to make some pretty impressive creations! I love watching his imagination work!

He's also really liking coloring and writing right now. He enjoys writing letters to people and has recently started a book about himself. It's so cute! Reading is something he's struggling through right now, and he can get pretty frustrated when he can't figure a word out. Have y'all ever stopped to think about how truly difficult some words in our language are? I wish I knew better how to help him! He's also really interested in addition right now. He can do most simple addition in his head, and has even done some multiplication, although he doesn't realize that's what he's doing! We are very proud of how hard he works!

One of the best things about this year has been that he enjoys hugs, kisses and snuggles again! He will frequently crawl up in my lap and sit for books or a movie. And he doesn't run when I come in for a smooch anymore! I'm thrilled about this because it's been three years since he's willingly offered up these precious snuggles!

He ADORES his sister. Mak and Clara Beth are best friends. So many times we have been in the studio with clients and they have said "Oh, the kids must not be here." when in actuality they are playing together up in the playroom. They play school a lot lately. Mak enjoys bossing his sister around, and for the most part she lets him. They also do legos together, travel to Disney World or the beach, color, and sometimes he can even get her to build a train track with him! Although that one usually results in a fight because Miss CB still thinks it's fun to take the tracks apart. They also argue a lot, and have a hard time working things out on their own. The fights are usually just screaming matches, although lately a few punches have been thrown. We are working really hard on that one. I Can't STAND for one of them to hurt the other one. That gets my blood boiling faster than anything!

Mak also really loves babies right now. He asks all the time why we can't have another baby in our family. I tell him that's why God has given us Tess (and soon to be Caroline and Sawyer!). Hopefully that will be enough baby to get him through this stage! For his fifth birthday present from my parents, we are going back to Disney (our LAST trip for a few years!). Reeves, Rebecca, tal, and Tess will be joining us, and we are SO EXCITED!!! Mak keeps talking about all the things he's going to show Tal and Tess. He loves his cousins so much!

We love this boy intensely. He is the PERFECT boy for our family. Even though I still see him as my Baby Mak, I know he is growing up fast and I am very proud of the boy he is becoming. Mak, we couldn't have dreamed up a better little boy for us. We love you and ALWAYS will, Baby!

10 comments:

Casey said...

What a sweet post about such a sweet boy!

Jessica said...

Aw, sweet post! Love all those fabulous pictures!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Mak!

Rebecca said...

what a FANTASTIC post Aron!! Loved reading it- soo crazy to think he is 5 yrs old and soo grown up!!! we love you Mak!!!

gillian said...

thanks for sharing your heart Aron! i loved reading about all the wonderful ways Mak has grown this past year.

Kris said...

As a kid, I remember my brother running laps around our house to burn off energy! I've often thought about having Ben do that lately! LOVED this post! Mak sure is growing up!

Jones Family said...

Love your post and the awesome pics!! Great journaling!!

Mommy to 3 littles said...

How fast these years must have flown by for you. What fun to see the world again through your child's eyes and at such an imaginative and active stage! He is such a cute boy and I can see why you guys are so proud of him.

Susanne Hodge said...

I loved reading this and learning a little about Makgill! Thanks for sharing!

Li Li said...

I'm loving those snuggles too. It's been a long time since he has crawled up in my lap for hugs and kisses, but he does it all the time now./ I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts!!!! I love you Mak!!